telnet and ftp won't list directory

Hi folks.  I'm trying to put together an office server
with woody.  When users log in via telnet or ftp, the
login session hangs when a lot of text gets printed to the
(remote) screen.  Same problem if you were to use vi or
something that prints a lot of text to the screen.  No problem
exists if I do any of this stuff via local monitor. Any one
have any clues about what could be going wrong?

I've got 2.4.12 kernel compiled. Woody, AMD Athlon, ASUS.

What do you think?  Hardware problem or is there anything
something I'm missing in setting up deb.

Thanks folks.
Eric