PHP module seems not to be loaded by apache

Hi,

I have installed apache 1.3.22-1 and php4 4.0.99-2.

In the httpd.conf file the LoadModule string for php is commented out, as
well as the AddType lines for the php extensions.

If I change this or not, the result is the following: when opening a php
site my browser always asks me if I want to download the file. It seems
that the php module has not been loaded (although I restarted the apache
server).

Does someone have a similar problem or can anyone give my some hints how to
solve this problem?

Thanx
Arne