Eterm fonts

If I upgrade to the version of Eterm in testing or unstable, I get
horrible grainy fonts (bitmaps, I suppose). This happens either if I
call it without giving a --font option on the command line, or
if I try to call a specific font with the --font option. The problem
is particular to Eterm (there is no similar problem with xterm or
rxvt). If I downgrade to the version of Eterm in stable, the problem
disappears. I call Eterm like this:

  Eterm  -v --font 8x16 -O --shade 10 --login-shell &

I've tried substituting different font-names after the --font option,
but I'm not sure which naming conventions I should be using (the
man-page doesn't say), and I get error messages about `unable to load
font so-and-so ...'.  I also don't know why the old `8x16' font-name
no longer works (it continues to work with other applications, such as
emacs and xterm).

Has anyone seen a similar problem, or does anyone know of a
workaround?

Thanks very much,

Jim