Re: remote installation

on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:03:12PM -0400, Tom Allison (tallison1@twmi.rr.com) wrote:
> Is there anything in Debian that might allow someone to create an
> installatin floppy such that:
>
> I can give someone who knows nothing about Linux (or little) a CD-ROM,
> floppy, and one page of instructions and be able to set up an
> installation on a computer from scratch?

Almost certainly.

Widely known or advised:  no.

> The real goal here is to have someone who is not in a position to do
> an in depth linux installation to do a hardened installation on the
> internet from there location.

Better:

  - install locally and ship to remote.
  - install on hard drive for installation at remote site.
  - travel to the remote site.

Another option may be to burn a disk image onto suitable storage (DVD or
large-capacity tape are the likely candidates, unless you can ship a
second system for purposes of the installation.

Or you could use bootable media such as the LNX-BBC
(http//www.lnx-bbc.org/) to boot the system and proceed with a further
installation.

Remember that the key things you need to get configured are the base
system, networking, and SSH.  Once you've got this set up, you can
proceed with the remainder of the installation.

Peace.