RE: Problem booting my system

Thanks Robert,

I've got my system up now, and I didn't have to resort to putting the boot
partition on the IDE drive.  I think the main problem was in the lilo.conf
file being incorrect.  When I used the default file it (mostly) worked.  I
made an entry in the fstab file instructing it to mount read-write.  Upon
boot-up fsck was always giving an error about the root partition, but yet
when I ran fsck it always reported 'clean' for me.

I'm not sure what the most important difference was, but this lilo.conf
worked:
	lba32
	boot=/dev/sda
	root=/dev/sda2
	install=/boot/boot.b
	map=/boot/map
	delay=50
	vga=normal
	default=Linux
	image=/vmlinuz
		label=Linux
		read-only
	image=/vmlinuz.old
		label=LinuxOLD
		read-only
		optional
where /vmlinuz was a symbolic link to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17-compact.

This lilo.conf seemed to not work for me (although it had worked earlier,
extended with various kernel options, etc.):
	boot=/dev/sda
	map=/boot/map
	install=/boot/boot.b
	#prompt
	lba32
	#vga=ask
	timeout=50
	default=linux
	image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17-compact
		label=linux
		root=/dev/sda2
		read-only
		append = ""
I noticed that under Linux the IDE drive is found whether or not it is
enabled in BIOS.  I disconnected power from it for awhile to make sure the
system only saw the SCSI drive, but I don't think that was the problem after
all.

-Kris