KDM cannot start X

Hi!
I have Debian Sid installed with the current XFree86 and current drivers
for my GeForce. The X Server runs fine, I can start kdm or xdm without any
problems.
But when I start one of them and it asks me for login, it is not able to
start the WindowManager itself. Screen is black, then it returns to the
login screen again.
I tried with KDE2 and WindowMaker. But: I can start KDE as well as
WindowMaker by hand! They work properly, everything's fine.
Why can't kdm or xdm start the WindowManager? X itself IS running...
   Tnx a lot
      Karl