Q: dns /exim / inetd (?) slow startup (2)

Hi to all,

I'm still trying to find out what may make name resolution
and exim startup to slow down to a crawl ...

(smrgol is my local host, ip: 10.1.1.1)

If I do a

  ping smrgol

I get an instant answer, but if I

  telnet smrgol

it takes about 30s until I'm connected. On the other hand

  telnet 10.1.1.1

connects instantly.

Another problem is exim. It normally is started from inetd,
so I do

  telnet 10.1.1.1 smtp

and after I get the connected message it takes about 30s until
exims greeting is displayed. I tried to start exim as a daemon,
and then it takes 30s for the daemon to start up.

- What could cause these delays?
- That ping is instant could mean it's inetd, which takes
  such a long time?
- Could it be that wrong file permissions cause something like
  this? (I had a problem with exim being unable to write to its
  log files, because it was started as user "mail", and its log
  files were writable only by "root".

Thanks for your help.

Ingo