man free

I note that Debian's man page for 'free' contains a statement not
found on other versions of that page, even other versions bearing the
same date, to wit, words to the effect that the "shared" column is
obsolete and needs to be ignored.

Can anyone shed any light on this strange contingency?

--
                    Readings For Our Times

           --==++> http://SixtiesSurvivor.org <++==--

           Bob Bernstein at Esmond, Rhode Island, USA

  "In Chomsky's reading, one must learn to sift through the inevitable
   propaganda and emotion resulting from the September 11 attacks, and
   lend an ear to the suppressed and distorted cry for help that
   comes, not from the victims, but from the perpetrators."

   	      	       		    	 Christopher Hitchens