Re: a challenge

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:58:10PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> goal: a 4-16 byte 7-bit character value that somehow encodes the time
>   of creation such that it can be extracted if the encoding scheme/seed
>   is known. the encoded value should be such that it is mostly
>   impossible to change it so as to yield a later time of creation to be
>   encoded. in general, changing the encoded value may well render the
>   data invalid.
>
>   this is supposed to be a token that's valid for a limited amount of
>   time, after which, a new token has to be fetched. this token should
>   not be obvious (e.g. the timestamp) to prevent people from changing
>   it to be valid longer rather than fetching a new one.
>
> can you do it? or is there a tool out there?

use perl, Digest::HMAC_MD5 to encode the token, and MIME::Base64 to
make the result HTTP palatable.

I used this to write a cookie-based web authentication scheme which
timed out after some period of inactivity.  I'll look around for the
code as it sounds like you're doing something similar.

libdigest-hmac-perl contains Digest::HMAC_MD5
libmime-base64-perl contains MIME::Base64

Regards,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.