Installing from floppies fails (chroot not allowed)

Hello.

I've been trying to set up (again) Debian linux.  I've been trying to do
this with floppies and trying to download the files I need through the
net.

I start up and compile the module for my ethernet card into the kernel
and I'm able to configure the network via DHCP.

All works fine until I start installing the base system.  The packages
download and all but after a while an error comes up telling me
something about not being able to run chroot on target/.  I've tried
this a few times and one time I executed a shell and changed the
permission of the target/ folder so everyone could access it (chmod
ugo+rwx target).  That time it did get a little further but in the end
came the same error just in a different place (that time the error
message was a little more ambiguous and I couldn't quite figure out
which folder or file it was referencing).

I'm wondering if this is a known bug in the installation or if it's
specific to my system?  Is there any way to work around it?

Kindest regads and hoping for help,
	Stefan Freyr Stefansson.

p.s. it should be noted that I'm a Linux newbie.
p.p.s. I didn't want to cross post so please tell me if I should be
sending this message to another list.

<<winmail.dat>>