Grainy X?

Hi all,

Just upgraded to woody, and along with that came xfree-4.1.07.

I have been reading that X is/was kind of broken lately. However I am noticing another problem that I havn't yet seen discussed.

I'm on a a20m IBM laptop, with a ATI rage mobilty vid card. Since I upgraded X this morning when I run my window manager in this case wmaker, the pixels seem huge and the screen is very 'grainy' looking. I have entered the exact sync and refresh rates for both my monitor and vid card.

So I wonder if this has been the case for anyone else on the list? I dual boot win2000 on the laptop as well (flash developer) so for now i need it on at least one box : )
Point being, that at first I figured this must be a hardware problem (read the warranty just expired) however, the M$ gui looks as crisp as ever.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information to aid in diagnosing the problem.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Ken