RE: /proc permissions

Andrej Hocevar wrote:

>did you deliberately insult me with your self-boasting remarks or
>was it just me reacting prickly? to me it seems that my question

It would seem just a little of both. ;) Karsten is often brusque in
requesting list etiquette be observed. I will share a better way to change
/proc entries later.

>mails that make you react irritable? yes, i know it's my not using
>the shift-key etc., but this is a list for our debian-linux-related
>problems, isn't it. so why then do you feel the urge to act as if i

You were asking for help, weren't you? He's asking that you make it easier
on everyone who will read you mail and try to help you. It's only right that
you do so.

>please, don't make even more insulting generalizations about other
>people's laziness. my second mail on this topic clearly shows that i

He didn't state that you were lazy. He said he was.

>(about which i
>read in the very same /usr/src/linux/documentation directory that
>you've mentioned).
> <snip>
>if you ever intend to help me again, please consider this advice on
>echoing.

He told you he was going off of memory. Take that literally.

>nb: my thoughts on quoting are unfortunately different from yours.
>in general, when writing anything similar to (scientific) research
>or any other papers vaguely connected with my domain of study --
>that's comparative literature -- i strictly follow mla's rules. but

I'm not familiar with mla's rules....

>here we're talking about highly informal posts which only have the
>purpose of solving problems quickly. in my oppinion, quoting
>first makes it
>more difficult to read emails. if you don't agree, fine, you don't

but, you are posting to the Debian Help mailing list. It is not those here
that need to agree with you. Have courtesy. You are in their house. Just
have the decency to "wipe your feet" before crossing the threshold. It's not
asking too much.

Please notice that I have quoted beneath your text that I'm referring to.
Can't you see how easy it is to follow? How clear it is what I'm replying
to? Let's say that we discussed five things you had problems with and, for
example, you wanted to let me know that I was wrong on the fourth one. You
reply at the top of the message that I was wrong and the answer was 42. Now
I'm completely uncertain as to which thing I'm wrong about and what should
be 42. Posting below the text you are referring to also refreshes the
person, not only on the situation, but what both of you have said.

Now, to answer your question:
Instead of echoing to any /proc entry, look at sysctl.conf (man
sysctl.conf). This file's job is to manage /proc directives and have them
centrally located. You can echo them yourself, but then you have to 'build'
a place to do it (i.e. create a script), have it executed at startup,
remember where and what you did, etc. Sysctl.conf is much cleaner and the
Debian way.

--
Ron Mullins

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Pennsylvania Assembly, Nov. 11, 1755