Re: IPchains output

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:27:21AM +1000, Craig wrote:
> Hi,
> I am curious as what each field refers to I know that the example is, date
> hostname then deny 24.242.71.87 src port 137 to my box on port 137 proto 17
> which I believe is udp, however the rest fails me (also does someone have a
> complete listing of proto numbers to names (such as proto 17 udp?)

You can look at the iptables manpage for detains on those other entries, but
in my opinion they really aren't terribly important. FWIW, what's important to
me is the time, source/dest ports/addresses, protocols, chain, and reason for
denial (which I provide from my rules).

That probably wasn't terribly helpful, but here is an answer for your second
question. You can look at the following links for information on various
internet things:

    protocol numbers:    http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers
    port numbers:        http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    icmp numbers:        http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters
    multicast addresses: http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses
    address spaces:      http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Hope that helps.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and
the value of nothing."  - Oscar Wilde