Re: how to remove penguin logo

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 06:35:18PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

| > do you have to use fb?  I think the logo is mandatory w/ framebuffer... but
| > when you clear the screen, it's supposed to go away
|
| No, as far as I know, I don't need to use fb.

I too think that you are using the fb, whether you realize it or not.
The logo is mentioned in the fb howto, and the first time I saw it
(aside from the Debian installer, which had messed up colors) was when
I started using the fb.  For me, if I do anything that uses the whole
screen the logo goes away.  For example : start X, switch VT, run a
curses app (ie less, vim or mutt).

| Where are the documented steps for getting rid of the logo?

See above -- running a curses app should do it.

| On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Cameron Matheson wrote:
|
| > The kernel Documentation has something about that in the framebuffer
| > directory... If I remember correctly, someone had written a gimp-plugin to
| > convert any image to a file that you replaced the penguin w/...
|
| I think the above was for another reader, but it was also sent to me. I am

Yes, the other reader wanted to know how to put a custom image there
instead.

| hoping that I don't have to rebuild a kernel. (This is for a student

You shouldn't need to.

| workstation in a Unix class where each workstation is running a different
| OS; please note that each workstation usually only takes three to ten
| minutes to install; in other words, I don't have time to waste on this
| particular system.)
|
| I read an older debian-user posting that said the framebuffer can be
| enabled via lilo (configurations sent to kernel). Hopefully, this means I
| can disable it too :)

Yep.

| I guess I can check for some append="video=..." or vga=... line. My lilo
| manual doesn't discuss this, my lilo(8) and lilo.conf(5) manuals don't
| have info on this. I am not at the system, but I'll try setting

These are the argument names.

| vga=normal.

This is not a legal value (to the best of my knowledge).  (Nice guess
though ;-)).  See
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.8/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt.gz for the
various modes that are legal for the VESA framebuffer.  Presumably
they work for the matroxfb too, but I've only used the vesafb.  If you
set 'vga=ask' then you get a list of the VGA (not fb) modes that are
allowed for your video card.

I just found /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.4.8/Documentation/svga.txt.gz
which includes the following :

---------------
   The ASK_VGA mode causes the kernel to offer a video mode menu upon
bootup. It displays a "Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE>
to continue or wait 30 secs" message. If you press <RETURN>, you enter the
menu, if you press <SPACE> or wait 30 seconds, the kernel will boot up in
the standard 80x25 mode.

   The menu looks like:

Video adapter: <name-of-detected-video-adapter>
Mode:    COLSxROWS:
0  0F00  80x25
1  0F01  80x50
2  0F02  80x43
3  0F03  80x26
Enter mode number or `scan': <flashing-cursor-here>
---------------

There is much more interesting information.  The summary is that for
standard VGA text console you want "vga=0x0F00".

The fb is really cool though -- you get a better console since any
resolution and font can be used.  Also configuring X is as trivial as
telling it to use the fb driver.  No modelines, etc, to fuss with.
The downside is that most cards are not accelerated (the Matrox and
_some_ ATIs are supposed to be).

| Does anyone know where I can find the lilo documentation that talks about
| disabling fb?

I don't know about lilo specifics, but everything is in the kernel
docs.

| (I forgot to mention that I am not on the mailing list. The debian.org
| archive was last updated on Monday and the geocrawler.com archive doesn't
| show anything yet. Please consider Cc'ing messages to me.)

Done, though using the Mail-Followup-To: header helps with this :-).

-D