Default font does not display properly

Hi,

I have a problem with fonts generally and vim-gkt
particularly, the initial screen has Roman crosses for
tilde characters and boxes for normal characters. I have
a similar problem with other applications, like AbiWord.
Other applications display text fine, except for the
About box, which shows squares.

I downloaded the source for vim and it appears that the
default font string is ?-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-
14-*-*-*-m-*-*-*"
To narrow the problem, I wrote a small program and gave
gtk_font_load the same string. The displayed text also
showed squares. If I select a font in vim, or specify ?-
adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-*?
in my toy program, text is displayed normally.

I have read the recent post on font problems I have
changed my FontPath per the suggestions, but to no
avail. I?m using testing version xfree86-common 4.1.0-7,
I have xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base,  xfonts-
scalable, and xfonts-scalable-nonfree.

Does anyone have suggestions for fixing my font problems?

Gary Setter