Re: gunzip stops working

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:43:18AM -0400, Ken Januski wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I've run into an odd problem over the last few months. More than half
| the *gz files I download from Netscape refuse to unzip with gunzip. I
| always get the message XXX is "not in gzip format."
| Running file on XXX gives me "GNU tar archive." Does anyone have any
| idea what might be going on?

Yep, you used netscape :-).  The situation is that if netscape
identifies the file as a gzipped file, it unzips it for you _but_ it
doesn't fix the name.  It thinks it is doing you a favor.  Your
choices are to
    a)  live with it
    b)  use something else for downloading (gtm is cool, and you can
        drag-n-drop URLs onto it or the GNOME applet)
    c)  figure out how to make netscape stop uncompressing the files
        and just download them as-is

I use option 'b' in part because I use galeon, not netscape, but also
because gtm is cool.  (BTW, gtm uses wget as the backend to do the
real transfer)

-D