From: Jan Finjord <jan@trantor.ux.his.no>
To: branden@debian.org
Cc: finjord@ux.his.no
Subject: Nvidia Riva TNT2Pro, with XFree86 v. 4.1.0
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:07:05 +0200

Hello,

I have an Nvidia Riva TNT2Pro card on my PC. It worked under
the debian "potato" distribution, XFree86 version 3.3.6.
According to the data for the 4.1.0 distribution it should
work as well or better with that one. So I felt confident to
upgrade to "woody" even if that distribution is still under
testing.

Well, the card doesn't seem to become recognized with the
XF86_XFree86 server, version 4.1.0-7, which if I understand
the documentation correctly should replace everything like
XF86_SVGA version 3.3.6-38, etc. With the latter one (as well
as xserver-common-v3) installed it does fire up with the old
XFree86Config although so far the display and all consoles
hang so that a reboot is needed.

I hope you might just briefly indicate to me whether I should
bet on getting the card alive with the XF86_XFree86 server,
and possibly how.
Or whether I should rather keep XF86_SVGA version 3.3.6.

Best regards,

Jan Finjord
Stavanger, Norway

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I