Re: Movie makers for Linux?

"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:

> >     > I've got a series of still captures of some scientific data
> >     > that I'd like to string together to form an animation,
> >     > picture-book style.
> >
> > You can try using convert (part of the imagemagick package), to
> > make mpegs, as in
> >
> >    convert *.png movie.mpeg
>
> Thanks Mike.
>
> That almost works. First I had to hunt down mpeg2encode because it's
> used by convert and not included in any Debian package (as far as I
> could tell). After I did that I tried the command
>
>         convert *.png movie.mpg
>
> and it's doing something really funky, it's using every 12th png file
> in the movie, eg., I have 100 frames and it starts with frame 1 then
> frame 13, frame 25, frame 37, etc.
>
> Anyway, I might have to move over to the SGI and use their tools. Of
> course they don't work with PNG files...
>
> If anyone else has other Linux solutions please pipe in!

Well, I figured out the "problem" with convert. Unless you set the
quality at 99 or better it tells mpeg_encode to skip every twelfth
frame. I suppose this is because of an assumption that the stills are
from a video capture? Anyway, I tweaked the source so any quality
above 75 uses all the frames and now convert works fine.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Gary