Re: Unable to use X from remote host...

on Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 03:58:03PM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce (mcpierce@telocity.com) wrote:
> On my desktop machine (running woody) I enable X server access via
> "xhost +" before I telnet into another machine. I then redirect that
> machine's display via DISPLAY variable back to my desktop and try to
> run an X application. But, the remote machines says that it can _not_
> connect to my desktop's X server.
>
> Has something changed in X, or can someone point me to a configuration
> change that will fix this problem?

Use ssh as suggested.  For numerous reasons, it's the secure
alternative.

If it's essential for you to run a direct X connection, read the
appropriate XFree86 manpages looking for TCPIP listen configuration
options, and find the config files in which they are specified.

It's assumed that you shouldn't do this sort of thing unless you can
work out how to do this sort of thing.

Peace.