kdm/xdm/woody problems

hi.

glad to be back on the list :)

a few days ago i dist-upgraded my potato box at work to woody,
phew! no major issues..

ive been running woody on my laptop for a few months, and tonight
decided to do an upgrade so i could get xfree4.1 so i could use
the new savage_drv.o. and it sorta works.

i can startx no problem. X comes up. but kdm nor xdm lets me login
to anything but 'failsafe' which just brings up an xterm. i can
work around it by just typing 'afterstep' in the xterm and it
fires up my full session. but im curious why xdm or kdm doens't work.

it doesn't seem to be authentication, as failsafe works, but using
any other session, X immediately restarts and it brings me back
to the login prompt.

i do get this in the syslog when using xdm:
Oct 15 23:27:09 shadow    : PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_condev.so)Oct 15 23:27:09 shadow    : PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_condev.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]Oct 15 23:27:09 shadow    : PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_condev.so

i don't know if its directly related to xdm. but it happened
right after i exited kdm(which was in debug mode and spitting
tons of stuff to syslog) and i fired up xdm.

i've erased my ~/.Xauthority file several times(i remember that
causing problems during some X upgrades/changes in the past)
but it didn't help.

i don't think it's directly related to kdm, as the package is the
exact same version as the one at work. and its working fine.
so i figure the problem is elsewhere .......i checked bugs for
kdm and xdm and there are none that seem to be related.

infact the kdm on one of my desktops at home is the same
version 2.1.1.0-10 ..and i havent upgraded that box in almost
2 months so its clear kdm hasn't changed :)

any ideas ??

thanks!!

nate
(ill try to participate more in the list now that i have a good
mailer goin, been at least a year since i did ..)