Mail: Cannot create lock file

Hi all,

In my new debian potato installation, I created  a
seperate partetion for mail and mounted it in
/var/spool/mail. Mails are getting properly delivered.
If I am using 'mail' command to read mails, I am
getting the following error :

mail:  Cannot create lock file
/var/spool/mail/xxxx.lock. Error creating temporary
lock file

But with mutt I am not getting any error. I installed
Qpopper, but it also give error

ERR: maillock: cannot lock '/var/spool/mail/xxxx' :1

I suspect this is some permission problem, but dont
know what exactly is. How can I correct this ?

Tnx in advance,

Rds,

Deb