Re: gnome sound

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 05:52:57PM -0400, dman wrote:
> Normally esd is started when you start up gnome.  There is a way to
> disable it, I think, because I don't get error messages on my
> workstation (has no sound card).  esd will keep the sound card "in
> use" and the theory is that all applications will request sound to be
> played through esd, not go straight to the hardware.  esd then
> multiplexes the waves so that you get all of them simultaneously.

[note: i didn't add solved to the subject because the problem is just
avoided, not actually solved]

ditching esd (use gnome configuration tool - multimedia settings)
"solves" the problems for now.. man pages and other doc for esd/esound
isn't too great, i didn't find a homepage - but didn't look too hard
yet.. it is 0.x version software after all, maybe it just needs some
work..

thanks to everyone who gave a hand..
	frank.