Re: Spam impersonating me (was Re: Spam: the last straw)

on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:54:10PM -0500, DvB (dvanbalen@jam.rr.com) wrote:

> on Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 02:26:25PM -0700, George W. Bush (president@whitehouse.gov) wrote:
> >
> > This is a point of origin for the message.
> >
> > 38.210.6.214 (you want the value from parenthesis, it's the
> > reverse-lookup value, and may differ from the announced value) resolves
> > to PSI.NET's netblock:
> >
> >     $ whois 38.210.6.214
>

> Cool, didn't know 'whois' took IPs... nslookup wasn't very useful on
> that IP address.

Right.  If whois doesn't return a result, traceroute (or its
replacements, which I'm less familiar with) may be useful.  As these
traverse the network connection, the process is slower.

> > I'd post to abuse@psi.net and report the issue.  There's not a whole lot
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Do you know this is the correct address to send complaints to or are you
> just assuming the "abuse" part? If so, where did you find it?

It's a convetional address.  Another good alternative is:

    <domain>@abuse.net

e.g.:

    psi.net@abuse.net

The folks at abuse.net maintain active reporting lists of addresses for
specific domains.  This is my default reporting address.  It also
insulates you somewhat from the spam source.

> P.S. I was informed off-list that the debian-user list policy prohibits
> the use of symbols to represent profanity. I'm ashamed to say that I
> wasn't aware of this and apologize to anyone who may've been offended by
> my use of such "obscured cussing" at the beginning of my message... I was
> kind of ticket off when I wrote it.

Fuck that shit.

Informed by whom?  There's no notice of such a policy on the Debian
website.  The only list policies I'm familiar with are open/closed
subscription, moderation, and the advertising policy: