Re: Spam impersonating me (was Re: Spam: the last straw)

> > Any idea how I can make this person stop? Is there some place I can
> > report stuff like this?

<snip>

> This is a point of origin for the message.
>
> 38.210.6.214 (you want the value from parenthesis, it's the
> reverse-lookup value, and may differ from the announced value) resolves
> to PSI.NET's netblock:
>
>     $ whois 38.210.6.214

Cool, didn't know 'whois' took IPs... nslookup wasn't very useful on
that IP address.

> PSI is a large provider and has had longstanding issues with spam, to
> some extent, unavoidable.

True. I'm not necessarily faulting the ISP the mail's being routed
through (midnet.co.uk?) or originating from (although having mail relay
enabled in this day and age is almost inexcusable *sp*).

> I'd post to abuse@psi.net and report the issue.  There's not a whole lot
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you know this is the correct address to send complaints to or are you
just assuming the "abuse" part? If so, where did you find it?

> else you can do, AFAIK.  Might help to get some sort of information to
> send those who decide to retaliate on your spam by mailbombing you or
> worse.  This is a lesson for those who would advocate such tactics:
> mailbombing frequently misses the target and generates "collateral
> damage".  I use tools to report spam to originating netblocks and
> referenced URLs/emails in payload, for disposition.  spam.pl and
> ricochet from Freshmeat are useful tools.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

P.S. I was informed off-list that the debian-user list policy prohibits
the use of symbols to represent profanity. I'm ashamed to say that I
wasn't aware of this and apologize to anyone who may've been offended by
my use of such "obscured cussing" at the beginning of my message... I was
kind of ticket off when I wrote it.