XFree86 4.1.0-7 and G450 problems (SOLVED)

"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:
> Anyone else have a problem running X 4.1.0-7 with a G450? I just
> upgraded this morning and wdm comes up fine, but when I try to log in,
> as root or myself, X dies back to the wdm screen and I get an entry in
> my log like:
>
> Oct 15 11:49:53 hostname kernel: mtrr: no MTRR for f9800000,800000 found
>
> Everything works perfectly with 4.1.0-6, which I've downgraded back to
> (thank God for package pools!)

Thanks to Rene Koopal I solved this problem it had nothing to do with
the entry from the kernel log. Apparently that's been around for a
while and has to do with the fact that the MGA drivers are out of
date, I just hadn't noticed it before. The real problem was this
little beauty:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=113878&repeatmerged=yes

which will probably affect others. Essentially you need to remove the
quotes from around $REALSTARTUP in

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start

Wonder how a bug that probably affects so many people made it into
"testing"?

Gary