My Potato locked up !?

Hi,

I've found this morning that sometime overnight my machine running Potato
locked up completely.
I'm faily new to Linux, but I thought this doesn't suppose to happen!

Also I was running this installation for a couple of month now without
problems.
The only difference is that I've installed XFree86 two days ago.

When I got up this morning first I've noticed that samba wasn't running as I
couldn't connect to the
shared drives. Then I noticed that the Linux box was displaying some frozen
screensaver image, and
was not responding to anything. I had to turn it off.

Is there anything obvious which might have caused this?

Many thanks in advance!
regards,
Balazs