pcmcia & smartmedia

I've bought a nice Olympus Camedia 4040Z digital camera and the pcmcia
card to read the 16 MB smartmedia card coming with the camera (I'd
like to use gphoto and, above all, the Gimp).

According to what I've read on this ML the pcmcia+smartmedia card can
be read as an IDE drive, in a nutshell, as it were an hd.

Now my questions are:

1) What driver for the card should I set (ide-cs?)?

2) How can I mount the simulated hd under a directory (that is, what
is the device name /dev/hd? or what else?)?

3) What else do you advice to consider or set?

Vittorio

Please note that
 with my great satisfaction as a Debian addicted the pcmcia and smartmedia card DID NOT work properly under Windoz 98 because it cannot find the right driver. Beside, the USB connection of the camera to windoz 98 has been causing me troubles and troubles.