Re: dual NICs, same brand or not?

Quoth Ron Farrer,
> I'm building a firewall out of an old 486 and was wondering if it was
> best to use two NICs of the same type/brand or to use different ones? Is
> there any gotchas for doing one over the other?

I find that's it's easier to use two different cards (not just different
brands, but different chipsets) because you can easily dictate which one
will be eth0 and eth1 in /etc/modules.conf.

Using the same brands will certainly work, but you'll probably end up
juggling them around to work out which one is which.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller :: Department of Criminology :: University of Melbourne

The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
  -- Julius Caesar