Re: Network Card diagnostics

on Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 10:16:32PM -0400, Scott Henson (shenson2@wvu.edu) wrote:
> > on Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 02:18:33PM -0400, Scott Henson
> > (shenson2@wvu.edu) wrote:
> >
> > > I have a computer that has an on-board network card that doesnt
> > > seem to be working properly.  We already took it in to be serviced
> > > once(we have a warentee), but the service people took for a few
> > > hours and when we picked it up they said it was a software problem
> > > and propmtly charged us $40 for a false alarm(as they called it).
> > > We took it home and it worked fine for a while.  Now it is acting
> > > up again.  I am thinking that they fixed and said that just so
> > > they could charge us the $40.  I was wondering if there was any
> > > utilities within debian that I could install on it to check that
> > > the network card is bad.  Anything that acctually checks the
> > > hardware to see if it is responding and that it can reach the
> > > network.
> >
> > The proper protocol in this case is:
> >
> >   1. Inform the store the card's failed twice and you're demanding
> >      both a mobo replacement and a refund of your earlier $40
> >      charge.  Frankly I can't believe they opted to "repair" rather
> >      than replace the mobo initially.
> >
> >   2. Failing above, you purchase an alternate mobo, from another
> >      store, and widely publicize the name of the first.
> >
> > I tend to prefer expansion cards rather than onboard components for
> > substantially this reason.

> Well yes I wish I could have done that.  But they said it was software
> the first time.  This is actually my sister's computer and she let
> them pull the wool over her eyes.  Now this time I need hard proof
> that it is hardware related.  And for the name of the place its Golden
> Tech Computers in northern virginia.  Also its one of those
> proprietary computers that have everything built in.  I dont like it,
> but thats what she got.  I am looking for a utility that can give me
> hard proof that it is hardware related.

No specifics.  The Ethernet-HOWTO mentions diagnostics for some cards by
Don Becker:

    http://www.io.com/help/linux/Ethernet-HOWTO-7.html

I'd still just pull the psych approach and put the onus on the vendor to
demonstrate the card isn't faulty.

What sort of errors or behavior are you getting?  What kind of card?

Peace.