Re: what's the name of kernel made by make-kpkg?

On Sunday 14 October 2001 10:12 pm, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> The version of my kernel source is 2.2.19.  I want to make a custom kernel
> by the command:
>
>   make-kpkg --reversion custom.1 kernel_image
>
> I expect there will be a kernel named vmlinuz-2.2.19-custom.1 in the
> `/boot' directory.  But its name is still vmlinuz-2.2.19.  Do I
> misunderstand make-kpkg?

I think you did.  --revision only plays with the name of the package itself.
It's useful to keep all your different flavours of the same kernel seperate.
Otherwise, each subsequent compile will overwrite the previous package in
/usr/src.

You might be looking for the --append-to-version flag, which actually fudges
the version.h file of the kernel.  Check the make-kpkg manual for details.