Screwed up fonts

Hello!

 I had a nice working font setup in Linux, things looked great in
GNOME.  I ran debfoster (I think that's what it was) and something I
took out also fscked up my fonts.  I've gotten things back to a
reasonable setup, but I can tell the default fonts are still a lot
uglier than they used to be...

 For an English only user, what fonts packages are there?  Which ones
are necessary for installation?  Which Debian packages have the cleanest
fonts?  I don't know what I deleted (I can't find a log of the specific
packages) to figure out what screwed up my fonts.

 Also, the defoma package doesn't seem to do anything.  I even installed
the x-ttcidfont-conf packages, but the directories it creates and asks
to be put into my XF86Config-4 file are completely empty, even though I
have fonts in my normal TrueType font dir.  What gives?

Thanks!
Sean Etc.