Re: bzip2 brings ppp to its knees?

On Saturday 13 October 2001 05:54 pm, csj wrote:
> Anybody else had a similar experience? I can compile without my meager
> 56K connection stalling. But with a running bzip2 process ppp traffic
> becomes so abysmal I even get disconnected.

I'm glad I'm not alone.  I have an old school 486 with a 56K external modem
and whenever dpkg does its thing, my connection seems to stall.  It also
stalls when I load a complex set of iptables rules in ip-up.d.

Someone mentioned trying an IRQ priority scheduler or something.  A google
search turned this up, which appears to be on the money:

http://www.best.com/~cae/irqtune/

I'll have to play with this next time I'm near the 486 (which is 100 miles
away).  Could be a while.  Maybe it'll fix the problem.

Good luck!