Re: bzip2 brings ppp to its knees?

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:19:26 PDT, Erik Steffl writes:
>Martin Rowe wrote:

>> > You have a proper modem, or one of those 'software modems' aka
>> > win/linmodem POS?
>>
>> I get similar problems when burning CDs, though I've had it happen with
>> other processes (can't remember if it was bzip2, though). If the
>> connection is already up, it becomes unusable (though usually stays up),
>> if not, then it won't establish the link (stalls on negotiation, drops
>> off, tries again...) until the burning process finishes. I've a hardware
>> modem (3Com/USR 56K external) and have had this problem all the time I've
>> been using Linux. In the meantime, the hardware, distro and most recently
>> the burner have all been upgraded. One of my reasons for getting a faster
>> burner (12x10x32 from a 2x2x6) was to have less on-line curfew. I've
>> asked this question before on other forums, but no answer yet. Maybe
>> it'll improve when I get cable later this year :)
>
>  try nice when using the bzip2 (or whichever program causes problem)

This sounds more like a problem with the priority of the interrupts. If
 you've got an serial modem, try setting the priority of the IRQ the
 port uses higher. This helped me when I was on a serial connection.
 Can't remember the name of the package, though. YMMV.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Q: What is the difference between a used car salesman and a
--    {router, switch, colo, technology} salesman?