Re: Why need an MTA in the defualt install ??

How do you read your own e-mail?  Do you pop it from somewhere to the
local box, or do you use fetchmail or maildrop or one of their relatives
to dump it into the local mail spool?

Fetchmail and etc need a local MTA running because that's how they put
mail into the spool.  There's one reason.

Another reason is that the mail system is usually how cron processes
communicate with their owners.  Since they run asynchronously, without a
console, that's about the only way to get messages that might need a
response back to someone who can deal with them.  A log file is a poor
substitute for this... you have to remember to go look at it. ^_^

As for connecting to it from outside... that's harmless enough.  What
does it matter?  It's meant to be connected to from outside, so it's
secure enough.