debug messages while logged out

I'm a wintel appliance operator, so you can imagine my confusion at
seeing the following on the screen of my logged off Debian/Linux box:

	DEBUG:  --Relation pg_shadow--
										   DEBUG:  Pages 1: Changed 0, Reappend 1,
Empty 0, New 0; Tup 1: Vac 0, Keep/VTL 0/0, Crash 0, Unused 1, MinLen
80, MaxLen 80; Re-using: Free/Avail. Space 8096/0; EndEmpty/Avail. Pages
0/0. Elapsed 0/0 sec.
	DEBUG:  --Relation pg_rules--
		(same variable names, all values "0")
	DEBUG:  --Relation pg_views--
		(ditto)
	DEBUG:  --Relation pg_tables--
		(more of the same)
	DEBUG:  --Relation pg_indexes (sic)
		(deja vu all over again)

The barber-poling suggests another two, or more, messages have scrolled
off screen.  I did check /var/log/debug and ./debug.0 and found only
references to changing discs during installation.

There are no background tasks running.  At least non that I know about.

Installation of Debian 2.2 from a 3 disc set was done dark and early a
couple of days ago onto a Dell PIII, 733mHz, 64meg box.  Video is
onboard Intel 810e chipset.

I just went through the Q&A and put in everything.  X did not configure
as this chipset was not found.  Until I get it onto the net, I'll try to
figure out some low res generic.  I mention this because X, and no modem
are the only exceptions to the set-up.

If more info is  needed, let me know (and where to find it, ha).

gt