ADSL startup and non-root users

Hi at all,
I'm using a Woody Linux distribution.
I want to know if it's possible to give non-root users
access to the Internet through ADSL connection in the
same way as they can pon/poff a normal PSTN connection.
In fact I, as a root user, use pon dsl-provider to
connect to the Internet but even if I add a normal user
to the dip group (so he can use the pon command) he
cannot connect to the Net.
I think this is a ethx access permission trouble so this
is my question:
how can I permit to a normal user pon/poff an ADSL
connection as if it was a simple analog modem connection
without gaining root privileges ?

Thanks a lot.

Luca De Giorgi