Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Debian?

Stan Brown wrote:

>Can anyomne point me to some docs on installing Oracle 9i on Debian?
>
>I've dowloaded it, and now I hve 3 cpio images, but don't know where to go
>from there.

I'll repost...

Try renaming the cpio files to .tar.gz.

For more info, download the PDF file oracle9i_lin_rel_notes from
the oracle9i lite web site.

If you plan to interface Apache and Perl with Oracle (works real fine!)
prepare to do some tweaking. See the manual on Apache, Perl and Oracle
9i Lite for more details...

Beware that you'll need the Java 2 SDK 1.3.1 if you'll interface Oracle
with Apache. Get ready for lots of RAM (512 should do but if you can
go higher, go really higher) and lots of disk space (have at least 1 GB
in /tmp and around 4 GB for the database file to sit and grow on -
it's somehow too much but it won't hurt being paranoid about every
going sky-high on every requirement). And of course, some powerful
processor.

I recommend using the XFS filesystem if you'll get serious on using
Oracle. That filesystem's good for handling very big files. For more
info on XFS, visit http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs. And also, hang
on with kernel 2.4.9 if you'll use XFS with GCC-3.0.1. There are some
issues on the succeeding kernels (2.4.1{0,1,2}) which needs some real
addressing.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com