Re: nfs mounting and sharing of /usr/share

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:44:53AM -0400, Timothy Ball wrote:
> I would like to tone down repeative disk usage and would like to share
> /usr/share via nfs... can anyone think of reasons this would be a bad
> idea?

This would be a good idea (why do you think it's called _share_?),
but it won't work very well unless all machines have the same package
versions installed.  If one has apache and another doesn't, that's
fine, but if one has apache 1.3.20-1.1 and another has 1.3.9-14,
you'll have problems ranging from (best case) confusion to (worst
case) the old version clobbering the new one's files.

You should be fine, though, if all machines sharing the directory are
tracking the same package archive (stable/unstable/testing).

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery