New to debain

Hi,

I just installed debian after having a bad experience with Mandrake 8.1. I've
always used Redhat or Mandrake before this and never Debian so I've got a
couple of problems that I haven't been able to find the answer to.

I started with Debian 2.2r2 and I've upgrade to sid.

How do I change the keymap for the console (permanently) ? Should I edit
/etc/init.d/keymap.sh directly ? I have to do 'loadkeys uk' after every boot.

The modules for my sound card and USB ADSL modem don't load automatically on
boot I've tried editing /etc/modutils/actions and running update-modules but
without any success (not sure of the syntax). The soundcard is a SoundBlaster
Value (emk10k1) and its a Speedtouch Modem. They both work fine once I run
modprobe for each one but I'd prefer not to have to do it everytime I boot.

I would like thank everyone involved in Debian for a stunning distribution
and I don't know why I didn't change sooner.

Thanks for any help.

Nick Sanders