allowing access to rsh from client...works but I don't know why

 I am allowing rsh access from a select client list
 by adding them to .rhosts file which  only read permission
 and this works.  Yeah I know this is inherent insecure but
 it is required for what I am trying to do.

 Currently inetd.conf has tcpd wrappers
 which runs in.rshd. Strangely enough putting entries
 in hosts.allow seems to have no effect. I.E I get in
 whether I put an entry in for in.rshd or not. I.e
 .rhosts is sufficient. I notice on a redhat system
 one seems to have to add it and one has put in rsh
 into /etc/securetty... Just curious to know.

 The manpage for in.rshd seems to confirm what I am seeing
 It is as though tcp-wrappers is not doing anything...perhaps
 pam authentication is being used directly?

Anyone confirm this for woody systems?