X server

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:26:32PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Vitor Silva Souza wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > 	I was browsing through the archives to find a way to make the wheels of my
> > MS Intellimouse work on X. I found a piece of configuration that should be
> > inserted on XF86Config:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > 	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
> > 	Driver		"mouse"
> > 	Option		"CorePointer"
> > 	Option		"Device"			"/dev/psaux"
> > 	Option		"Protocol"		"IMPS/2"
> > 	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
> > 	Option		"Buttons"		"5"
> > 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> > EndSection
> >
> > 	So, I inserted it as directed, and when I tried to run startx:
> >
> > Config Error: /etc/XF86Config:21
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > not a recognized section name
> >

> > 	Here's the version of xfree that I'm using:
> >
> > seattle:/etc# dpkg -l xfree*
> > Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> > | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> > |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> > +++-==============-==============-============================================
> > ii  xfree86-common 4.0.3-4        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
> > 	What did I do wrong?
>
> 	Sounds like you're still using XFree 3.x.  Do a dpkg -l
> xserver-xfree86 and make sure that that's version 4.

You might not necessarily use xserver-xfree86 though, depending on
wether it will support ones graphics card.

The XFree86 server supports most modern graphics hardware ...
(from $ apt-cache show xserver-xfree86).
And
... X server (usually xserver-xfree86, but some users may require a
different one), ... (from $ apt-cache show xfree86-common).

So you might possibly use the X server you have already had using
XFree86 3.x.

Helmut