Re: wmaker

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 02:02:57PM +0200, Paul Fischer wrote:
> I'have xdm and severar Window Managers installed,
> how can I make Wmaker the "default" Window Manager
> at startup, now it is icewm,
> I want to keep my other Window Managers as well
> and an easy way switching from Wmaker to any other
> of my Window Managers....

   Hello Paul and the rest of the great Debian community!

   For configuring xdm take a look at the files under /etc/X11/xdm and
especially /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  The default xdm-config contains
the line:

   DisplayManager*session:         /etc/X11/Xsession

   Xsession is a script which determines a window-manager either by the
first parameter or using /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager (which is a
link to a window-manager executable).

   For making wmmaker the default window-manager add it as a parameter
in the DisplayManager*session line of xdm-config:

   DisplayManager*session:         /etc/X11/Xsession wmmaker

or (preferrably I think) change /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager to
point in the wmmaker executable.

   About switching between window managers, I don't know about xdm,
gdm/kdm do have login screens with a menu for launching the desired
window manager.  Anybody knows how xdm can be configured for a window
manager menu?

> btw. what files are involved, e.g. .xinitrc
> how should the file look like ?

AFAIK .xinitrc is used by startx and not xdm.

   .xinitrc is a script which contains all the commands you want to be
executed in the begining of your X session. The last command is the
window manager itself. Follows a sample from my .xinitrc

-- snip --
xsetroot -solid black
xterm &
xrdb ~/.Xresources
/usr/bin/X11/afterstep
-- snip --

All commands, except those running in the background by default and the
window manager, must be run with ``&'' in the end.

For more info look at startx, xdm man pages plus the XWindow-User-HOWTO

Plz correct me for anything wrong or that can be done in the Debian way.

Rgds,

--
Serafim Zanikolas                                       Proud of running
http://www.it.teithe.gr/~serzan                         Debian GNU/Linux