Re: no shell, unable to cd to /home/*

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 04:43:59PM +0200, pirmin2 wrote:
> cedar:~# ls -ld /home
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     users           9 May  4 02:54 /home -> /mnt/home
>
> cedar:~# ls -las /home
> 0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     users           9 May  4 02:54 /home -> /mnt/home

First off, to save karsten the trouble:  Please send the output of

ls -ld /mnt/home
ls -las /mnt/home

to the list.

Perhaps more to the point, though, I've noticed on one of my systems
that some things tend to behave... strangely when user home
directories are under symlinks.  Is there a particular reason for
your home partition to be mounted on /mnt/home instead of just
putting it physically under /home?  If not, I would suggest changing
/home to a real directory and mounting it there.  If that's not
feasible, then consider editing /etc/passwd to change the user home
directories from /home/user to /mnt/home/user.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery