Re: no shell, unable to cd to /home/*

on Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:06:01PM +0200, pirmin2 (pirmin2@gmx.net) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply, Karsten.
>
> >on Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 10:56:51AM +0200, Andreas von Heydwolff (avh@chello.at) wrote:
> >
> >>Hello -
> >>I upgraded potato to Debian testing (2.4.9, XFree 4.1.0-6, old /dev
> >>structure) a few days ago, everything worked fine. Now I can no
> >>longer log in as a user but only as root.

Does /etc/nologin exist?

If so, delete it.

> >>Login from the console gives me "Unable to cd to /home/avh", (avh is
> >>my user id) - it's the same with another user account. Therefore X
> >>aborts when I enter a user login in kdm.
> >>
> >>su  from a console as root gives me a message "No shell".
> >
> >What's in /etc/passwd for the user?
> >
> avh:x:1000:1000:avh:/home/avh:/bin/bash
> mcr:x:1002:0:mcr:/home/mcr:/bin/bash

Looks reasonable.

> >>The root account works flawlessly. Home directories are there, can
> >>be browsed, permissions are set correctly.
> >
> >Run and post output:
> >
> >    $ mount
> >    $ ls -ld /home
> >    $ ls -las /home
> >
> mount
>
> /dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)

<...>

> /dev/hda10 on /mnt/home type ext2 (rw)

OK.

You've omitted output for:

    $ ls -ld /home
    $ ls -las /home

Please provide it.

> >>I deleted users and recreated them, to no avail. Deleted passwords,
> >>recreated them - likewise. Reinstalled packages login, file-utils,
> >>shell-utils, the X combo, nothing.
> >>

> >How are you creating and deleting users?  The 'adduser' command is
> >recommended.
> >
> Kuser, just tried creating user "test" with adduser: dir /home/test/
> was created, same problem again.

Probably not part of the problem.

> >>Two further details are puzzeling me: earlier today I accidentally
> >>renamed /etc/X11 to /etc/sane then using a Norton Commander like
> >>file manager because I entered "sane" into a box called up with F2
> >>(rename) instead of F3 (search).
> >
> >'mc', perhaps?

Well?

> >Did you change any other files?
> >
> emelfm which I like a lot
> didn't change other files I believe.

That "I believe" is a bit troubling.  I suspect changed permissions on
/home.

Try logging in as root, then running:

    $ su - <user>

If that doesn't work, add strace:

    $ strace su - <user>

...and copy the last 100 lines or so of output here.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org