Re: Trying to figure out where the kernel sources went.

Hi John,

Sorry to answer your message only now. At the moment I lend my laptop to
a (very good) friend of mine, so I haven't been able to go ahead with
trying to compile a new kernel. Friday I leave for SANS NS2001, but when
I get back I'll continue my effort.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, John Patton wrote:

> You don't need the headers package if you install the source
> one... the headers come with the source. I would `dpkg -r
> kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17`.
>
> > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-compact
> > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-idepci
> >
> > Which one of those two do I use? Uname doesn't specify either of them.
>
> I would delete them both.

OK

> > There's also a file kernel-source-2.2.19pre17.bz2 in /usr/src I presume these
> > are the kernel sources, but shouldn't they be unpacked somewhere? If I need to
> > do that myself, where should I put them?
>
> It's not automatically unpacked. Do a `bzcat kernel-source* | tar xv`
> or something to unpack it (you will need bzip2 to be able to do this).
> It will create a dir called something like `kernel-2.2.19pre17`. You
> then need to create a link to it like so:
>
>     ln -s /usr/src/kernel-2.2.19pre17 /usr/src/linux
>
> It's important that it be called "linux"... a number of utilities
> assume that that's where your kernel source is.

The problem was I didn't realize I had to unpack it myself. The
unpacking itself and creating the link to /usr/src/linux isn't too
difficult once you know you have to do that. This is going to be my
first try to compile a customized kernel so I still have to get used to
the procedures involved.

> Good luck... and if you need any more help just ask. Oh, make sure
> that you can boot with your original kernel in some way before
> installing the new one. You most likely won't get it perfectly right
> the first time through.

Yep, that mistake I have made already. That was a small dent in my ego.
Luckily I had read the lilo manpage thouroughly, so I was able to boot
again with almost no trouble (or panic) and restore my ego to it's full
self again }:-)

One of the main reasons I am finally turning away from that other
platform (I tried to do it before, but nothing came of it because I
lacked the time) is the amount of freedom I lack there to do what I
want. I want to know what my system does and how it does that, so I can
decide what happens. I am a bit of a control freak and Linux allows me
to indulge in that. One cannot expect to really know his own system,
without putting some effort into it. But at least with Linux that is
possible. Certainly with the help from the subscribers to this list
(thanks guys!).

>From what I've learned so far from Debian / GNU Linux (and I consider
myself very much a newbie) I am glad I am taking this step away from
that other platform. 'Til now I am enjoying myself _very_ much.
Sometimes it is a bit of a hassle to find out which documents you need
and where you can find them, but once you found them you can really do
something.

Since I am an admitted control freak and a real junkie of everything
security related I hope to be able to help with the "Securing Debian"
document for which I saw help was wanted. I do have some scripts and one
config file (a lpd.perms with default reject, because I saw that topic
needed to be filled in yet) I hope will be useful. But first I need to
find out how all this stuff with CVS, SGML and docbook works as
everything is done with those and I have never even thouched them. As
soon as I get up to steam I hope to be able to do something in return
for all the help this list has given me (I've been a lurker for some
months now).

Thanks for the help. Hope to do something back soon.

Grx HdV

P.S. Any hints on anything involved with writing documents for Debian /
GNU Linux documents are very much welcomed! I'll start looking on the
Debian site later this day.

--
Support bacteria -
they're the only culture some people have.

J.A. de Vries aka HdV
Delft University of Technology
Computing Centre

Email: J.A.deVries@DTO.TUDelft.NL