Re: Newbie compiling kernel...

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 03:56, Alexander Wallace wrote:
> Hello there! I need to compile scsi emulation for ide devices, but I
> don't know how to recompile the kernel... I checked the Faq but it's
> a little bit confusing to me.... Can someone give me a setp by step
> instruction on how to do this? like:
>
> 1 apt-get whatever
> 2 go to directory /usr...
> 3 Type whatever
> 4 copy whatever
> 5 reboot
>
> or something like that?
>
> Thanks! Sorry about the newbieness...

It's sensible to suppose that if you're a newbie you're using one of
those "pre-packaged" kernels. With some notable exceptions, the
pre-packaged kernels have everything you'll need (and more) to get your
hardware working. You'll probably only need to enable scsi emulation.

You need to just add a line to your /etc/lilo.conf like:

append "hdd=ide-scsi"

The hdd varies with the actual drive designation of your CD writer (the
most popular use of the scsi emulation stuff). Then you add the
corresponding module to your /etc/modules file: a line for (surprise!)

ide-scsi