X stopped working

Hi folks,

i'm experiencing some problems with X. i'm running sid, and using
kde for my desktop environment. kdm handles logins. after doing an
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade + reboot, i can no longer log
in via kdm. when i try to login, the X server just restarts and i'm
presented with the kdm login screen again. i have also tried switching
to xdm with the same results.

FYI my xfree86-common install is 4.1.0-7.

any help that can be given in resolving this problem is much
appreciated.

TIA,
Sean
--
"The discovery of vinyl alcohol is significant"