Re: Newbie: How do I create a .deb from source?

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Pontus Edvardsson wrote:

> Hi,
> I believe I need to use 'dpkg -b /sourcedir <packagename>' but when trying
> to build a package of the current iptables-1.2.3, it fails with an error
> about not finding '../DEBIAN/control'... I then tried the option '--nocheck'
> to no avail. Please point out what I'm missing.

I suggest looking at the debian packaging manual and/or the new
maintainers guide (debian packages of both are available). Briefly, steps
are as follows. You want a package, for example gsl.  I am assuming there
are no dependency problems here. In this case, just issue the following
command as root in a appropriate directory (/usr/local/src/gsl is good).
"apt-get -b source gsl". If you already have the sources
(gsl_0.9.3-1.diff.gz, gsl_0.9.3-1.dsc, gsl_0.9.3.orig.tar.gz)  in
/usr/local/src/gsl and want to build the package go to the unpacked
directory, for example /usr/local/src/gsl/gsl-0.9.3. (If the directory has
not been unpacked you can do so by issuing dpkg-source -x gsl_0.9.3-1.dsc
in /usr/local/src/gsl.) Then (in /usr/local/src/gsl/gsl-0.9.3) issue
"dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -rfakeroot". You will need to do all this as
root.

Doing this as user is preferable but a little more complex.  If you have
unsatisfied dependencies, things get even more complex.

Email me if you need further help. Oh yes, and don't post to
linux.debian.user as few people will see your post. Mail to debian user
instead (see list.debian.org).

                               Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.