Re: 4 doubts on Kernel compilation (A dual boot Win-Lin Machine)

At 10:05 am, Tuesday, October  9 2001, Stephen Gran mumbled:
> p.s. - I'm told the debian way is much easier, but I've never used it,
> so others can tell you more.

AHHA! The Debian Way!
Basically, you can install a kernel-source .deb from apt, or download a
tarball from kernel.org, it doesn't really matter.
And then, you run 'cd /usr/src/linux (or wherever) and; make-kpkg --revision=`hostname`.1 kernel-image'
(You don't have to do that `hostname`, but I find it a nice naming scheme.
 For me, anyway.

You do need kernel-package installed for that too work, and what it'll do is
all those steps for builing the kernel, and put it all in a .deb for you.
And when you install it with dpkg -i, it will install the modules, the
kernel, modify lilo.conf for you, and run /sbin/lilo.

And people wonder why we love Debian...

--
                                                    Steve
* aj thinks Kb^Zzz ought to pick different things to dream about than