Re: ppp problem

guineuman@ig.com.br wrote:

hi, all I'm new to linux and I'm experiencing a problem that is at least a bit odd: I first installed the kernel 2.2.17 and wvdial was working fine, then I installed kernel 2.4.9 and wvdial stopped working properly: it said something like "the PPP deamon has died!" right after it said the lines: "--> PPP negotiation detected --> starting pppd at ... CSLIP: code copyright...." after reconfiguring the files several times I and a friend concluded the problem was in the modules I'd installed or not. Then I recompiled the kernel three times and in the second time wvdial almost worked: pppd didn't die, but I wasn't able to ping any location but one the /etc/ppp/ip-up ppp0 provided...
I presume you run stable? Did you read the changes for kernel 2.4.x? There are a bunch of files you need to update to run kernel 2.4. The best and easyest way is via apt-get with the soucres from Adrian Bunk at http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

Frank